It's been one year since Covington, KY began implementing its Third Century Strategic Plan. "Implementation has been going quite well," says Rachel Hastings, director of neighborhood housing initiatives for the Center for Great Neighborhoods of Covington.
"One of the reasons implementation has been successful is that the
planning process focused for the most part on achievable,
resident-driven outcomes. Early on, each of the groups focused on some
small winnable project so that we could keep momentum going."
Hastings says that the plan’s eight Action Teams have already made a difference through:
- A parking and traffic study of downtown Covington
- 10 new entertainment/retail venues downtown
- A "Paint the Town" project that painted 47 homes
- A new foreclosure prevention program, "Protect My Kentucky Home"
- An increase in the number of mentors for Covington students
- The new Covington Artisan’s Enterprise Center, a focal point for the Covington Arts District
- Funding from the State to cover cost of installing underground utilities along 12th Street as it is widened
Writer: Kevin LeMaster
Source: Rachel Hastings, director of neighborhood housing initiatives, Center for Great Neighborhoods of Covington