In 1809 one of Cincinnati's largest westside communities, Green Township, got its start. Named after Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene, Green Township includes the Bridgetown, Covedale, Dent, Mack, Monfort Heights and White Oak neighborhoods and boasts an estimated 55,000 residents which is expected to reach some 60,000 in the 2010 Census count.
Following a comprehensive study of the Township’s recreational needs, and as a means to celebrate the community’s bicentennial, the Township purchased approximately 50 acres of land along Diehl Road with the intention of developing the site into a park.
The site is located almost adjacent to Hamilton County’s largest park, Mt. Airy Forest
, and is located on the edge of the Green Township community. Also notable is the history of the site, the former childhood home of Marge Schott, as it will be restored with the help of the Schott Foundation.
The park will be named the “Green Township Bicentennial Park” and will feature a mix of active recreational uses including three ball fields, a playground, a picnic/shelter area, paved walking paths, equestrian trails, two sand volleyball courts and potentially a frisbee golf course.
The park will also have passive green space accessible only by unpaved trails and will use “green” building methods to become the first of its kind in Hamilton County by using storm water best management practices.
Given the park’s close proximity to Mt. Airy Forest, there are also plans to provide access connections between the two parks through walking/hiking trails.
Starting last year the Township began initial clearing operations on about 20 acres of the site for the active recreational amenities. The hopes are to have the park completed by spring of 2010.
The restoration of the Marge Schott childhood home will include a special bicentennial commons and garden surrounding the Federal/Greek Revival farmhouse built in 1835. In the rear of the house, there will be a new event plaza envisioned for use by special events including weddings.
With the support of the Schott Foundation, the Township has created the opportunity for members of the community to show their support through the purchase of commemorative bricks and paver stones that will be used in the garden area.
Green Township Bicentennial Park will be the Township’s sixth park in addition to Bosken Park, Blue Rock Park, West Fork Park, Veterans’ Park and Kuliga Park, home to the Township’s annual summer concert series
Writer: Randy Simes
Source: Adam Goetzman, Director of Development, Green Township; Jennifer Barlow
Enjoy this story? Sign up
for free solutions-based reporting in your inbox each week.