In May of this year the Cincinnati Preservation Association
(CPA) signed an agreement to purchase the historic John Hauck House in Cincinnati’s West End neighborhood. The house is located along what was once known as “Millionaires Row” at 812 Dayton Street.
The house, originally built in 1870, earned its name from John Hauck, a German immigrant that operated a nearby brewing company of the same name, who purchased the home in 1880. The stone-fronted Italianate style townhouse features fluted pilasters, arched windows and a crowning cornice.
The house had previously been operated as a museum by Historic Southwest Ohio which saw its tours closed this season.
Since CPA and Historic Southwest Ohio had once been one organization, CPA is granted first right of refusal on the property due to an existing deed. The purchase is listed as being sold on July 28, 2009 for $10 to CPA who is now looking for a qualified buyer with an appropriate end use in mind. The current appraised value for the property is $161,900 according to the Hamilton County Auditor
Other nearby historic structures have been threatened recently due to neglect or other reasons which led many preservationists to fear the fate of the historic Hauck House before the CPA purchase took place.
The executive director for Cincinnati Preservation Association, Bobbie McTurner, states that the organization is currently accepting proposals for the purchase and utilization of the house. Proposals must be received by October 30, 2009 with a $30 application charge.
McTurner also notes that a special Hauck House Proposal Review Committee will review all proposals for the sensitive historic structure.
Writer: Randy A. Simes